Learning how to Handstand can feel like a huge accomplishment in yoga. Here is your step-by-step guide to preparing for the pose.
Form a strong foundation to eventually achieve the full expression of the Handstand (Adho Mukha Vrksasana) by practicing Handstand Prep.
How To Prepare for Handstand
- Press down into the floor with hands and the balls of the feet.
- Pull into the centerline of the body.
- Hug the skin to the muscle to the bone, in your arms and legs.
- Lift the pit of the belly in and up and the heels high.
- Stack the hips, over the shoulders, over the wrist creases.
- Set your gaze to one point on the earth.
- Internally rotate the thighs and contract the muscles.
Revolutionize your arm balances and inversions with martial artist and Primal Yoga creator Liz Arch’s fresh approach. Sign up now for her Challenge Poses course to start checking asana goals off your list!