A few weeks ago, I wrote about five tiny changes that have made a huge difference in my yoga poses. This week, I want to touch on the little changes that have made a huge difference in my life. For me, yoga is about so much more than the poses--it's about finding balance in everything you do. Here are 5 things that help me do just that.
1. Make space for your practice. I am a busy girl who juggles a full-time job with several freelance projects, a family, friends, and as many yoga classes as possible. Committing to taking a few minutes on a Sunday afternoon to lay out my clothes for the week and chop some vegetables for weeknight dinners has opened up a window of time for daily meditation, yoga practice, and projects that I definitely wouldn't have otherwise. It's five minutes here and there, but it helps me to practice consistently.
2. Take a lunch break--no matter what! It is SO important to get away from your work for a few minutes in the middle of the day to fuel your body and refresh your mind. When I take a lunch break, I'm more productive for the rest of the day. I also make better decisions, and I'm more prepared to deal with the challenges that come my way.
3. Take a walk. One of my favorite ways to catch up with my husband at the end of a long day is to go for a nice, long evening stroll. It's the perfect way to transition from our work into a relaxed evening vibe, and it gives us the opportunity to focus completely on each other for a few minutes
4. Ask for what you want. The worst thing that could happen is someone says no. But if you don't ask, you probably won't get your request anyway--so you might as well. As soon as I learned to close my eyes and go for the things I wanted in life, I realized there were so many possibilities out there for me that a few no's here and there didn't bother me so much anymore.
5. Look for the lesson. It can definitely be difficult to see that there's something to learn even from the worst situations in life. It might even take months of meditation on something to be able to objectively see that something good actually came from that injury or break up. If you keep looking for the lesson, you'll find it ... eventually.
What little shifts have made a big difference in your life?