I have a love-hate relationship with my desk job. I love the brainstorming with co-workers, the opportunities to be creative, and the stability that comes with an office job. I hate feeling confined to a desk, the lack of privacy of sitting in a cubical, and the harsh fluorescent lights.
I love my job, but there are plenty of times during the day that I wish I could take a 2-hour break and go to a yoga studio for a breather. That's not possible during a busy workday, but that doesn't mean I can't infuse the work that I do with my yoga practice.
Here are a few of the ways I bring my yoga practice into the office with me:
1. Stretch often. There are lots of poses you can do right in your desk chair. My favorite desk stretches are seated twists (using the arm rests for extra traction), Cow Face Pose, and--when no one is looking--seated Cat-Cows and Tolasana from my desk chair!
2. Surround yourself with inspiration. I have an inspiration board up on my cubicle wall with quotes, notes from friends, and pictures. When you're surrounded by things that inspire you, it uplifts everything you do.
3. Listen to kirtan. I love listening to music while I work, but songs with lyrics are distracting when you work with words. Kirtan is soothing and reminds me of my yoga practice, and the fact that I don't understand the words is a bonus because I can just enjoy the vibrations.
4. Take advantage of trips to the bathroom, water cooler, and the printer. I walk slowly, take everything in, and make it into a walking meditation practice.
5. Take a deep breath every time you get an email. This is my trick to manage stress and communicate mindfully.
What creative ways do you practice yoga at work?