Ayurveda understands that the health and beauty of our eyes isn’t just related to our physical eyes or the makeup we put on our eyelids. Ayurveda understands that the things our eyes see actually make our eyes beautiful. For this reason, its important to try to see beautiful things on a daily basis — a flower in bloom, a baby giggling, a stunning sunset.
Here are a few more tips on how to get happy eyes:
– Give your eyes a break from any screens, particularly if you spend long periods of time in front of a computer. Take a break every hour to look around the room. Let your gaze adjust on the scene in front of you.
– Try gazing at an all-natural candle for a few minutes, or until your eyes begin to water. This process, called trataka, helps calm the mind and clear the eyes.
– Stop wearing chemical-filled mascara, eyeliner, and eye shadows. Makeup removers are also usually full of chemicals. There are many all-natural makeup products on the market. You can also remove your makeup with natural organic cream, sesame or sunflower oil.
– Wash your eyes in the morning with an eye cup and rinse. You can buy one at any pharmacy. Use cool water, or organic rose water in the eye cup.
– Give your eyes a nourishing bath with ghee. Soak four cotton balls in some melted ghee until fully saturated. Place two over each of your closed eyes, lay back and relax for at least 15 minutes, allowing the ghee to slowly seep into the eyes.
Katie Silcox is the author of the upcoming book, “Healthy, Happy, Sexy – Ayurveda Wisdom for Modern Women.” She’s a vinyasa yoga teacher, Ayurvedic practitioner, contributor to Yoga Journal, and a senior teacher within the Sri-Vidya ParaYoga lineage under Yogarupa Rod Stryker.
GO BACK TO WELLNESS WORLD >