Since our bodies are 60 percent water, practicing yoga on the water invites a deeper state of union with ourselves and the natural world.
8 tips for a successful SUP yoga practice
- Choose a wider board for more stability.
- Use an anchor (in lakes and reservoirs).
- Start in Tabletop position—on all fours with your bellybutton over the handle.
- From all fours, begin to move your spine. Notice how the board may move or rock as your weight shifts.
- It’s natural to be hesitant about falling. But remember: Water is softer than the floor or even grass!
- Use your exhalations to soften into the movements; see the board as an extension of your body.
- Visualize the board divided into four quadrants. In Downward-Facing Dog Pose, you’ll have hands and feet in each quadrant.
- Have fun! Invite a sense of lila, or creative playfulness, to explore a deeper connection with your practice and the natural world.
—Lisa Fierer, master paddleboard instructor
The must-have gear for SUP yoga
Tahe 10′6″ Beach Shoreline Inflatable Stand-Up Paddleboard Package | $580
Stability is at the forefront of this durable, lightweight flatwater board. It comes with an adjustable paddle, bungee rigging, and a backpack-style carry bag so it’s easily transportable.
The Summer Chaser Towel | $77
This large, quick-drying, sand-resistant adventure towel is an ideal home base for outdoor yoga or beach day picnics. (It even has a secret zipper for your phone and keys.)
Garmin Venu Sq Music Edition | $250
Monitor your workout (including SUP and yoga) with this waterproof GPS smartwatch. It tracks heart rate, respiration rate, and more—plus it can play music.
Grown Alchemist Natural Hydrating Sunscreen | $40
Slather on this reef-safe, vegan sunscreen that uses rosehip oil and parsley oil to moisturize and protect.
Maapilim After Sun Gel | $18
This handcrafted gel gets its cooling properties from aloe vera, bay leaf oil, and coriander seed oil. It hydrates and nourishes while it soothes.
Evolve Santorini Towel | $49
This full-size, rapid-drying, anti-microbial towel made with 20 recycled plastic bottles is the perfect yoga companion. Stay dry after SUP or a heated vinyasa flow.
Keep everything in place during your flow with this supportive bottom. Its matching top features a multi-strap cross back so you can play in comfort and style.