Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Beef and Squash Curry
Grass-fed beef has about twice as many healthy omega-3 fatty acids as standard grain-fed beef.
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb grass-fed organic beef strips
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Cook rice following package directions.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, warm coconut oil.
- Add beef and red pepper, cooking until beef browns, 2–3 minutes.
- Add curry paste, and cook 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk and cook until beef is cooked through, 3–4 minutes.Stir in squash.
- Divide rice among four bowls and top with curry. Garnish with remaining ingredients.
NUTRITIONAL INFO 345 calories per serving, 16 g fat (7 g saturated), 62 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 34 g protein, 178 mg sodium
Sweet Potato–Peanut Curry
Greek yogurt boosts protein content and provides a creamy texture.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 large heads bok choy, sliced
- 1 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Thai or Italian basil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped, unsalted peanuts
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add potatoes and cook until they brown, 5 minutes. Add curry paste; cook 1 minute. Add corn and 1 cup water. Cover and reduce heat to low, cooking until potatoes are tender, 5 minutes.
- Layer bok choy on potatoes. Cover and remove from heat, 5 minutes. Divide bok choy among four bowls. Stir yogurt into potatoes and spoon on top of bok choy. Garnish with remaining ingredients.
NUTRITIONAL INFO 350 calories per serving, 14 g fat (8 g saturated), 46 g carbs, 10 g fiber, 17 g protein, 467 mg sodium
Sriracha, a chili-based condiment, adds spice to cancer-protective cauliflower.
8 oz corn or quinoa pasta
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets (about 4 cups)
1 tbsp red curry paste
1 tbsp sriracha
1 lb diced tomatoes (2–4 tomatoes)
1 cucumber, diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
4 tbsp pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Cook pasta following package directions.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add cauliflower and cook until it starts to brown, 5 minutes.
- Add curry paste and sriracha to pot; cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook until they give off liquid, 1–2 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to low; cook until cauliflower is tender, 15–18 minutes. Divide pasta and cauliflower among four bowls. Garnish with remaining ingredients.
NUTRITIONAL INFO 312 calories per serving, 9 g fat (6 g saturated), 55 g carbs, 11 g fiber, 8 g protein, 211 mg sodium