Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Saffron threads give this pilaf a fun and sunny hue.
Makes 4 servings.
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron threads, crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced dried apricots
- 1/4 cup currants or golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Minced zest from 1 orange
- Salt and Pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, bring juice, turmeric, saffron, and 1 cup water to a boil. Add quinoa, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is absorbed, 20 minutes.
2. Stir in almonds, apricots, currants, oil, lemon juice, and orange zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper.