This BBQ season, expand your patty repertoire with super-simple recipes full of flavor and good-for-you ingredients.
Tangy Salmon Burger
Tasty, fiber-rich chia seeds help bind this heart-healthy burger together.
- 8 scallions, trimmed, quartered
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 lb skinless, boneless salmon, cut into 4-inch chunks
- 2 tbsp yellow or white miso paste
- ¼tsp ground cayenne or paprika
- 4 whole-wheat buns, toasted
- 1 cup baby spinach
- In a food processor, pulse scallions and chia seeds. Add salmon, miso, and cayenne; pulse four to five times, until finely chopped.
- Shape salmon mixture into 4 patties. On a grill over medium-high heat, cook burgers, flipping once, until cooked through and starting to brown, 6–8 minutes. Transfer burgers to buns and top with spinach; serve.
NUTRITIONAL INFO 328 calories per serving, 9 g fat (2 g saturated), 32 g carbs, 9 g fiber, 30 g protein, 567 mg sodium
Beet Burger with Orange-Avocado Salsa
- Nut butter adds a savory, salty element and supplies protein and essential minerals like magnesium and iron.
- 1 Haas avocado, diced
- 1 orange, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 lb beets (about 3 medium beets), peeled, quartered
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup almond or peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 4 vegan hamburger buns
- In a bowl, mix together avocado, orange, and ¼ cup cilantro to make the salsa.
- In a food processor, shred beets. Add oats, nut butter, garlic salt, and remaining ¾ cup cilantro; pulse until mixture is thick and sticky. Form into 4 patties.
- On a grill over medium-high heat, cook burgers, flipping once, until patties begin to brown, 6–8 minutes. Transfer burgers to buns. Top with avocado salsa and serve.
NUTRITIONAL INFO 477 calories per serving, 19 g fat (2 g saturated), 67 g carbs, 16 g fiber, 18 g protein, 392 mg sodium
See also Healthy Homemade Ketchup Recipe
Mushroom-Cheddar Chipotle Burger
Canned chipotle in adobo gives an otherwise plain mushroom burger a nice kick!
- 10 oz mushrooms, such as button or cremini, trimmed, quartered
- 2 tbsp chopped chipotle in adobo
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 cup dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 4 slices cheddar
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- In a food processor, pulse mushrooms, chipotle, and garlic salt until mushrooms are chopped. In a bowl, mix mushroom mixture, breadcrumbs, and egg until combined. Form into 4 patties.
- On a grill over medium-high heat, cook burgers, flipping once, until patties begin to brown, 5–7 minutes. Top each burger with cheese and cook until cheese melts, 1–2 minutes. Transfer burgers to English muffins and top with tomato slices; serve.
NUTRITIONAL INFO 365 calories per serving, 13 g fat (6 g saturated), 46 g carbs, 8 g fiber, 20 g protein, 649 mg sodium