Q: What are some Ayurvedic tips for getting my New Year off to a great start?
A: Starting the New Year on the right foot may be less about big, lofty goals, and more about small, everyday changes. Here are some simple Ayurvedic remedies that can change your life over time:
- Try eating a home-cooked, warm meal once a day.
- Get more sleep. Set a resolve to turn off electronics at a certain time each night. Create a sweet sleeping ritual where you tuck into bed an hour earlier than last year. Write about how it is changing your outlook on life.
- Set your alarm clock for 15 minutes earlier than usual. Use that time to read a spiritual text you have always heard of such as The Bhagavad Gita, a mystical interpretation of the Bible, or a Sufi poet.
- Breathe. Take five minutes every day to do deep belly breaths.
- Lastly, rather than doing more this year, try to make doing “nothing” a priority. The Italians have a phrase, “Il bel far niente,” which means “the beauty of doing nothing.” In America, we tend to fill up our calendars so much that we have no time for spontaneity. Try leaving a few days or a whole weekend completely free. Enjoy "doing nothing."
Katie Silcox is the author of "Healthy, Happy, Sexy - Ayurveda Wisdom for Modern Women." She's a vinyasa yoga teacher, Ayurvedic practitioner, contributor to Yoga Journal, and a senior teacher within the Sri-Vidya ParaYoga lineage under Yogarupa Rod Stryker.