We can’t stop the waves from coming in and out of our lives, but we can learn to skillfully surf them when they do roll our way. Here are yoga and meditation teacher Coby Kozlowski’s 10 tips for navigating rough waters, plus a meditation on The Power of Pause, which is part of her new Quarterlife collection of guided meditations for Meditation Studio.
Coby Kozlowski’s Tips for Riding Life’s Turbulent Waters
1. Learn to trust life.
Nature teaches us that there are cycles to life: beginnings, middles, and endings. Knowing this helps us to feel more confident that things will, in fact, change.
2. Remember that there are things you just don’t know yet.
We often suffer because we forget that there is more to unfold. Have faith that things will become clearer as they unfold over time.
3. Celebrate your authentic self, exactly as you are.
Explore, discover, and celebrate who you are in each situation as you experience it.
4. Find your community, and ask for help when you need it…
…especially when you feel like you’re drowning.
5. Show up for others.
Be there for them when their waves come.
6. Be accountable for the moments when you’re not in alignment.
Clean up your messes (apologize) when you’re not acting from the highest version of yourself.
7. Know that it’s all a grand experiment—there’s no roadmap.
Have fun getting to know different versions of yourself in different situations.
8. Love your story.
Use your story as your fuel, not as a way to dwell on the past. Meditation helps us to see things with a fresh lens.
9. Act in ways that make you feel more alive.
Learn which things in life make you feel more alive from the inside out, and do more of them!
10. PAUSE before you act or react.
This is the most skillful way to show up to the oncoming wave.