For exclusive access to all our stories, including sequences, teacher tips, video classes, and more, join Outside+ today.
Children are sensitive to their surroundings and their physical environment can have a large impact on them. There are certain practices that you can introduce into your home to make it a happy and safe place to live.
14 Ways to Create a Happy Home Environment
- Provide proper air circulation by using a fan or air conditioning
- Reduce ambient noise by turning off electronics and fluorescent lights
- Adjust lighting to mimic natural light
- Display art that is inspirational and creative
- Play music in the home, be aware of the emotions that the music might evoke (ie. The difference between hip-hop and classical music)
- Allow children to experiment and decide on what the environment that best fits their needs. For example, some children need silence while studying while others enjoy background music. If your child is doing well academically allow them to continue.
- Use natural cleaning products where possible to reduce allergens in the home
- Diffuse essential oils that promote peace and calm in the home
- Eat meals together with minimal distractions
- Keep the home clean and clutter free
- Ask your child what color they would like to paint their room
- Limit television and video games
- Provide a place in the house where family members can have alone time
- Open windows to view nature or bring nature indoors with houseplants, nature photography or a water fountain