For exclusive access to all our stories, including sequences, teacher tips, video classes, and more, join Outside+ today.
Regular sleep is important for mental, emotional and physical health. There are many techniques that can help aid in better sleep. One-third of working parents get less than 6 hours of sleep a night. This puts them at 66% higher risk of hypertension. Try some of these tips and note those that work for you and your family.
10 Ways to Promote Better Sleep
- Diffuse essential oils, such as vetiver, throughout the room
- Valerian in water
- Pressing on the acupressure point for adrenals, which slows down the adrenal gland
- White noise sound machine
- Warm bath before sleep
- Not eating before sleep or some people need food before they sleep, try to avoid sugar and caffeine
- Make going to bed a sacred time, create a bedtime ritual
- Read to them or have them read something that is calming or nurturing
- Calcium-magnesium before bed
- Avoid blue light from electronics such as computers, tablets, and phones. (Blue light signals the body to continue pumping cortisol into the body rather than allowing the relaxing natural effect of melatonin. Research has shown that the level of cortisol in the blood in autistic children is similar to that of the PTSD of soldiers after war. Also, night settings on iPhones can be timed.)