For exclusive access to all our stories, including sequences, teacher tips, video classes, and more, join Outside+ today.
How to Practice Mindful Eating
- Eat in a settled atmosphere
- Never eat when upset or angry
- Always sit down to eat
- Eat only when hungry
- Eat at a moderate pace
- Chew your food thoroughly
- Don’t talk while chewing your food
- Digest one meal before eating the next
- Systematically undereat
- Leave one-third to one-quarter of your stomach empty
- Don’t eat and drink at the same time
- Sit quietly for a few minutes after your meal
- It is best to eat in silence when possible
- As much as possible, eat higher vibrational foods—vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds
How to Eat according to the 3 Gunas:
Rajasic – overactive state: nervous, restless, impulsive. Foods include: sweet meats, alcohol and drugs.
Tamasic – dull and lethargic. Foods include: leftovers, bread and carbohydrates.
Sattwic – pure mind free from hostility, anger and resentment. Foods include: fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds nuts and grains.