Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These misconceptions about yoga really bother me, not because people don’t really understand what yoga is, but because it might keep people might really benefit from yoga from ever trying it. Like athletes, for example.
So I enjoyed an article and video on Messenger Post Newspapers (in suburban Rochester, NY) about the Baptiste Power Yoga and how it’s different from the kind of yoga you most often see
In a nutshell, here are the five things yoga teacher Mary Eggers pointed out in the article:
1. There are many styles of yoga. (Yes, some are gentle stretching, but some are so hard they with kick your butt–even if you’re in amazing shape.)
2. Yoga is great for athletes.
3. It’s not all about how flexible you are . . .Really.
4. It’s a workout. (See point 1).
5. It’s not just for women. It’s for everybody.
I couldn’t agree more!