Pro climber and yogi Heidi Wirtz has six poses to help you get strong and flexible to climb harder and stay injury-free. This sequence is adapted from a new online course she developed with Climbing magazine. Want more? Register for Yoga for Climbers using code YOGAJOURNAL for $40 off.
1. Warrior 1
Reach your left leg back and bend your right knee directly over your right ankle. Place your left foot flat at a 45-degree angle. Make sure your right ankle and foot are at a 90-degree angle (pointing forward) and that your right heel is aligned with your left heel. (People with ankle problems may lift the heel, and balance on the toes). Draw your right, outer hip back, and align your right thigh parallel to the ground. Lift your torso and arch your upper back slightly, raising arms overhead. Point fingers up with palms facing together. Lift your rib cage away from the pelvis. Look forward, head in a neutral position. Repeat on the other side, right leg back
- Strengthens and stretches your quadriceps, hamstrings, ankles, and hip flexors
- Increases endurance in the legs, which helps prevent “Elvis leg”
- Stronger hip flexors, quads, and hamstrings and stabilizes knees for high-steps and extending legs for reachy, sideways foot placements enhance a climber’s ability to high-step
- Stretches the chest and lungs, shoulders and neck, belly, groins (psoas)
- Strengthens the shoulders, arms, and back muscles
Want more? Yoga for Climbers is the first comprehensive online yoga course made specifically for climbers. This self-paced program will help you learn how to be more flexible, strengthen your entire body, boost your confidence, and help you stay calm after a fall, in the middle of a crux, and even sitting in traffic. Developed by Climbing magazine and pro climber and yogi Heidi Wirtz, this online class focuses on aspects of mental and physical training that can benefit every climber, whether you’re a veteran big waller or putting on climbing shoes for the first time. Register now and enter promo code YOGAJOURNAL for a $40 discount (normal price $189).