Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
It’s no secret that a lot of men think of yoga as something that flexible, healthy women do–often while wearing pink and discussing girly things like romantic comedies and pedicures. Oh boy, are they wrong! While I realize that the men who feel this way are not likely to be reading a blog on YogaJournal.com, I do hope that you women and men who are reading (and most likely practice yoga already) will pass this list on to your male friends, brothers, sons, and husbands who think yoga is only for women.
1. It’s Way More “Manly” Than You Probably Think. Thousands of years
ago, yoga was practiced ONLY by men. The practice was designed by men, for men.
In a lot of ways, women are just crashing the party. So if you’re worried that you won’t “fit in” or that it won’t be physically demanding enough for you, give it a try before you pass judgment. I dare you! You might be surprised by the experience.
2. It Will Make You Better at Whatever You Do. Whether you’re a competitive athlete or just really passionate about being the best Guitar Hero player, yoga will help you get better at it. Physically it helps you find balance. For example, if you’re strong, it will help your flexibility. If you’re flexible, it will help you build strength. Mentally, it will give you a way to handle all the pressure and stress that comes from a high-stakes competition so you can be your best at whatever you do. It can be your secret weapon! (Don’t worry, we won’t tell!)
3. You Don’t Have to Wear Spandex (or Pink). Really! Wear whatever you feel comfortable moving in. There’s no dress code. Also, you probably won’t be the only man. No one will be watching to see how flexible (or not flexible) you are. And we rarely discuss romantic comedies in class.
4. Get to Know Your Partner Better. Dude… if your wife, girlfriend, or life partner is a yoga practitioner do you have any idea how many brownie points you’ll get for going to a class with her and showing some interest in something she really cares about? Take it from someone who has been not-so-secretly wishing her husband would take a yoga class with her for years… If you’re in the dog house, this will get you out! (Oh, and if you’re a single guy, you’ll have way better odds of meeting a nice girl in a yoga class than at a singles bar.)
5. Get to Know Yourself Better. I know guys feel a lot of pressure
to be all tough and strong. (And, trust me, there are lots of opportunities
to use that brute strength in a yoga class.) But I imagine it
would be nice to occasionally check that tough-guy exterior at the door. Yoga
class is the perfect place to explore letting your guard down, and just
Want a male’s perspective on the subject? Read 5 Reasons Why Dudes Should Practice Yoga.
Oh, and ladies, if you want to get your guy to practice with you but he’s just not having it, here’s a blog postjust for you! 🙂