Learning how to Handstand can feel like a huge accomplishment in yoga. Here is your step-by-step guide to preparing for the pose.
Form a strong foundation to eventually achieve the full expression of the Handstand (Adho Mukha Vrksasana) by practicing Handstand Prep.
How To Prepare for Handstand
- Press down into the floor with hands and the balls of the feet.
- Pull into the centerline of the body.
- Hug the skin to the muscle to the bone, in your arms and legs.
- Lift the pit of the belly in and up and the heels high.
- Stack the hips, over the shoulders, over the wrist creases.
- Set your gaze to one point on the earth.
- Internally rotate the thighs and contract the muscles.