For exclusive access to all our stories, including sequences, teacher tips, video classes, and more, join Outside+ today.
Build Your Strength for Your Practice
FALLEN ANGEL | EKA PADA KOUNDINYASANA I
Benefits | Strengthens the arms, shoulders and core; Lengthens and strengthens the hamstrings.
Cues | Press into both big toe mounds to animate the inner thighs and keep the legs active and neutral.
• Roll the heads of the upper arms back and up away from the floor while extending the sternum away from the navel.
• Every inhale work to get longer from the left big toe to the right.
• Every exhale direct the torso slightly more towards the front center of the mat.
• Hold for 5-10 breaths.
CROW POSE | BAKASANA
Benefits | Strengthens arms, shoulders and core; lengthens the spinal muscles; teaches important alignment and actions for more challenging arm balances.
Cues | Place the hands on the floor shoulder distance apart and 6-8 inches ahead of the feet
• Come high on the toes and shift forward until the elbows stack over the wrists
• Continuing to reach the chest forward, lift the heels towards the buttocks
• Roll the heads of the upper arms back and up away from the floor
• Press the arms as straight as possible while bringing the feet and buttocks towards each
• Hold for 5-10 breaths
FLYING PIGEON| EKA PADA GALAVASANA
Benefits | Strengthens arms, shoulders and core; strengthens the hamstrings; lengthens the external rotators of the hip and the adductors.
Cues | Shift forward in space until the elbows are over the wrists.
• Extend the sternum away from the navel and roll the heads of the upper arms back and up away from the floor.
• Lift the floating heel towards the left buttock
• Extend the sternum forward any amount more to balance the weight of the floating leg as start to extend the free foot back.
• Spin the extended inner thigh to the ceiling and press back with the big toe mound.
• Hold for 5-10 breaths
GRASSHOPPER | MAKSIKANAGASANA
Benefits | Strengthens thighs and upper body. Also, stretches spine and hips.
Cues | Place your hands, shoulder-width apart, on the ground to one side.
- As you reach the full angle, keep elbows squeezing in and take a nice stand on the back of your arm.
- Keep looking forward and draw your bottom foot tight into your bottom, then extend the leg straight.
- Don’t try to move it around, all you need to do is straighten from the knee cap.
- At first you can rest the outer part of your lower thigh on your arm. But as you gain more core strength, start to straighten back leg hovering right behind the elbow.
- Hold 5-10 breaths
Strength Fuel | Beet Root Powder
Beets are a true superfood and are naturally abundant in a variety of nutrients, including nitrates. We love NOW Food’s Beet Root Powder, a pure derivative from beets that are dried and not extracted & equivalent to 2.5 whole beets. Check out Beet Root Powder at nowsportsproducts.com.