Once you’ve tasted the concentrated flavor of fire-roasted tomatoes, you’ll want to use them all the time. This recipe is a quick alternative to prepared pasta sauces that are often loaded with sodium and sugar. To substitute whole fire-roasted tomatoes, simply cut the tomatoes in the can with kitchen scissors before using.
- 1/2-CUP SERVINGServings
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 14.5-oz. cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 10 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring often. Add tomatoes and liquid, cinnamon, and 1/3 cup water. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Add cilantro and cook 5 minutes more, or until fragrant. Serve with pasta.
- Serving Size: Makes 3 1/2 cups
- Calories: 75
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 430 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g