Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Here’s a delicious way to showcase colorful bell peppers. If you prefer a spicier dish, add a minced fresh hot chile when adding the bell peppers.
MEAL PLAN: Spoon the sausage-bell pepper mixture into small hero rolls and serve open-faced, garnished with some black olives and baby carrots. End the meal with sliced fresh pears topped with a dollop of low-fat vanilla yogurt or soy yogurt.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add “sausage” and cook, turning often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add onion and cook until tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in bell peppers and garlic. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, reserved tomato liquid, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper and sugar until well combined. Cover and cook until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Spoon into hero rolls and serve open-faced.
- Serving Size 6 servings
- Calories 485
- Carbohydrate Content 73 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 256 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g