Blueberries are the last hurrah of the summer berry season, after the rest of the berries have had their peak stretch. So here they are featured alone in this luscious all-blueberry pie flavored with the juice and peel of orange. Make each batch of dough separately for best results. See alsoHazelnut-Crusted Berry Pie
- 2 batches Dairy-Free Oil Pastry
- 6 cups blueberries (3 pints)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 Tbs. quick-cooking tapioca
- Finely grated peel of 1 orange
- 2 Tbs. fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- A little soymilk and sugar for glaze (optional)
- On sheet of lightly floured wax paper, roll out 1 batch pastry into 13-inch circle. Line 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with it, letting edge hang over rim. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, tapioca, orange peel, orange juice and lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place baking sheet on center rack of oven.
- Spoon berry filling into chilled crust and smooth top. Roll out remaining pastry between two sheets of lightly floured wax paper into 11 1/2-inch circle; peel off top piece of wax paper. Using pastry brush or finger, lightly moisten edge of bottom crust with water. Invert top crust over filling, center, then peel off wax paper. Pinch crusts together at edge, then trim excess pastry with paring knife, using edge of pan as guide. (Alternatively, trim pastry with scissors, leaving a little overhang, then sculpt edge into stand-up ridge.) With fork, poke top crust several times to make steam vents; put a couple near edge so you can check juices there later. Lightly brush top of pie with soymilk and sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Place pie on baking sheet and bake 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375°F and bake until crust is rich golden brown and juices bubble from side steam vent, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Calories: 315
- Carbohydrate Content: 54 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 144 mg