Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Ground almonds and buttermilk keep this cake moist and tender for days—it’s actually better made a day ahead so the flavors have a chance to develop.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 10-inch (12-cup) Bundt pan with cooking spray formulated with flour for baking. Sprinkle sliced almonds over bottom of pan.
- Pulse flour, whole almonds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in food processor or blender until almonds are finely ground.
- Beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer 3 to 4 minutes, or until creamy. Beat in oil. Gradually add sugar, and beat 4 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and almond extracts, and beat until blended.
- Alternately fold flour mixture and buttermilk into butter mixture with spatula, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 additions of liquid. Spread batter in prepared pan, and bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until top springs back when touched and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 5 minutes. Unmold onto rack, and cool completely.
- Toss strawberries with sugar in medium bowl. Chill 1 hour to let strawberries release their juices. Serve cake dusted with confectioners’ sugar and topped with strawberries and whipped cream, if desired.
- Serving Size Serves 16
- Calories 271
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 55 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 197 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g