Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This simple rustic cake will fill your home with the scent of almonds and lemons as it bakes. Lovely served on its own, its also delicious with a dollop of softly whipped cream and fruit preserves. This cake tastes even better the next day.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter 8-inch round cake pan, line bottom with parchment or wax paper, and butter paper. Lightly flour pan, and tap out excess.
- Beat butter with brown sugar, zest, vanilla, baking powder and salt until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well each time.
- Combine ground almonds and flour; stir into egg mixture. Stir in lemon juice. Whip egg whites with cream of tartar to soft peaks in clean bowl. Fold egg whites into batter in 3 additions.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until pale gold and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cake cool on rack 15 minutes. Run sharp knife around edge of cake. Holding plate securely on top of cake, turn upside down. Remove cake pan and peel off paper. Invert cake onto wire rack, and cool completely. Transfer cake to platter, and dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 244
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 88 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 194 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g