Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Amber Podach is a custom stationery designer who enjoys kayaking and camping on her days off. She created the hearty stew after an icy-cold whale-watching trip in the Pacific Northwest. Now she makes the dish when she needs to warm up during Seattles misty autumn months.
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and garlic 5 to 7 minutes or until onions are translucent. Be careful not to burn garlic.
- Add chopped chipotle chiles, veggie bacon and wine, and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add broth, 3 cups water, lentils and sweet potatoes; cook 20 minutes, or until lentils fall apart. Stir in cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook tortilla strips in small skillet over high heat 3 to 5 minutes, or until crispy. Set aside.
- Ladle stew into bowls, and top each serving with 1 Tbs. sour cream, green onions and tortilla strips. Garnish with cilantro, and serve.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 223
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 393 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g