You may use your own favorite flaky pastry dough, or opt for frozen puff pastry. For added decadence, top with a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.
- Preheat oven to 475F. Spray 10-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside. Thaw puff pastry at room temperature about 30 minutes.
- To make Apple Tart: Place apple quarters on work surface, and cut each quarter in half widthwise. Thinly slice apple pieces, and place in bowl. Toss with cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add walnut pieces, and stir to combine.
- Roll out puff pastry on lightly floured surface, and fit loosely into cake pan, folding up sides to make irregularly shaped container. Mound apple mixture into center of dough. Dot apples with butter. Mix milk and sugar for wash, and brush surfaces of dough, if using. Discard wash.
- Bake 5 minutes at 475F, and reduce heat to 375F. Bake 15 to 18 minutes more, or until apples are tender and crust is golden. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make Brandy-Caramel Sauce: Melt butter over medium heat, and stir in sugar and brandy. Cover saucepan, and increase temperature to medium-high. Let mixture boil 2 to 3 minutes, reduce heat to medium-low and stir in cream, vanilla and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool.
- To serve, slice portions of tart, place on individual plates and top with sauce.
- Serving Size SERVES 4 TO 6
- Calories 680
- Carbohydrate Content 82 g
- Cholesterol Content 40 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 150 mg
- Sugar Content 57 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g