Sandwiches may be an everyday lunch food, but using artisan bread and flavorful antipasto ingredients elevates a simple sandwich to sophisticated picnic fare.
For a vegan variation, omit the goat cheese; instead, spread 1 to 2 Tbs. black olive paste over top and bottom halves of both loaves, then arrange 12 oz. thinly sliced baked or smoke-flavored tofu over roasted peppers and artichokes
- 1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 6-oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped, marinade reserved
- 2 8-inch focaccia or ciabatta loaves, or 2 small baguettes
- 8 oz. creamy goat cheese
- 1/4 cup black olive paste (olivada) or finely chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 2 cups arugula, rinsed and dried (bagged or fresh)
- Combine red peppers, garlic, black pepper and 2 Tbs. reserved artichoke marinade in mixing bowl; toss to coat.
- Split focaccia or ciabatta loaves in half horizontally using a serrated knife. Brush insides with some remaining artichoke marinade. Spread goat cheese on bottom halves and black olive paste on top halves. Layer red pepper mixture, artichokes and arugula over goat cheese. Replace bread tops. Using serrated knife, cut each loaf into 4 portions.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 240
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 600 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g