A family favorite, this apple cranberry pie tastes as good as it looks.
- 1 recipe "Buttery" Double Crust, rolled into two 12-inch circles
- 2 cups cranberries
- 4 cups peeled Granny Smith apples, sliced 1/4 inch thick or smaller (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup honey, warmed until pourable
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon evaporated cane juice sugar (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cranberries, apples, lemon juice, honey, and cornstarch. Mix gently until the cornstarch is dissolved.
3. Fit the bottom crust into the pie plate. Pile in the filling and gently press down to spread the filling until it's level.
4. Using a sharp knife or a fluted ravioli cutter, cut the top crust into 8 strips, each about 1 inch wide. Place 4 strips evenly spaced across the top of the pie. Weave in the remaining 4 strips at a 90° angle, creating a lattice pattern.
5. Pinch the edges of the strips and the bottom crust together, trimming any excess dough. Crimp the edge of the piecrust, if desired.
6. Brush the top of the pie with almond milk and sprinkle with sugar, if using.
7. Take for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until the filling bubbles up through the holes in the lattice. (Cover the pie with foil if the crust is getting very brown.) Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe was reprinted with permission from Vegan Pie in the Sky, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero (Da Capo Lifelong Books, 2011).