Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
There are three parts to this apple-pie-like dessert: the Orange-Tofu Cream (make first so it can chill); the Warm Raspberry Sauce (make second and keep it hot in a double boiler); and the croquettes (make last so they’re served hot).
- In medium bowl, mix flour, nutmeg and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. In separate small bowl, mix maple syrup, vanilla and soy milk. Slowly add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring with wooden spoon until batter is smooth. Set aside.
- In shallow bowl, mix coconut, cornmeal, 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spread pecans on baking sheet; toast 8 minutes, then chop and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 200˚F.
- Grate apples into medium bowl. (You should have about 21⁄2 cups.) Add lemon juice and toss to mix. Transfer apples to strainer and squeeze out excess water; return to medium bowl. Add pecans, dates, remaining 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ginger and 1⁄8 teaspoon salt. Toss to mix well.
- Using heaping tablespoonfuls, form mixture into balls, then squeeze tightly to compress and remove as much liquid as possible. Dip in soy milk mixture, roll in coconut mixture and set on plate.
- In large skillet, heat 1⁄4 inch vegetable oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, add croquettes in batches. Cook until croquettes are browned, about 45 seconds per side. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. Place cooked croquettes in oven to keep warm.
- To serve, spoon about 11⁄2 tablespoons raspberry sauce onto dessert plate. Place 3 croquettes on sauce. Top croquettes with dollop of tofu cream. Drizzle sauce over cream. Garnish with mint sprigs. Repeat with remaining croquettes, cream and sauce.
- Serving Size Makes 12
- Calories 394
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 106 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g