- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, cored, finely diced apples (any baking or all-purpose variety)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar or Sucanat
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 cup soy milk or low-fat milk
- 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg well, then whisk in brown sugar until dissolved. Whisk in oil, then milk, until smooth. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix together flour, wheat germ, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice. Gradually add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until a smooth, stiff batter forms. Stir in apples and walnuts if desired.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake until golden and toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes, then turn muffins out onto rack and cool completely.
- Serving Size: Makes 12
- Calories: 133
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 18 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 20 mg