Borrowing a technique from the Shakers, you can line the bread pan with scented geranium leavespreferably the apple-scented varietyto underscore the apple flavors in this luscious breadand discard them before eating.
- 3 Tbs. margarine or unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 6 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbs. apple juice
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 9-inch loaf pan, and set aside.
- Beat margarine and 1 cup sugar until well combined. Add eggs, lemon extract and lemon zest, and beat until very thick and creamy.
- Sift together dry ingredients, and add alternately with apple pieces and 1/2 cup apple juice, continuing until all ingredients are used up. Spoon batter into loaf pan, and sprinkle top with pecans.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until top is golden and center is firm. Remove from oven, and allow to cool in pan 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool on rack.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 tablespoon apple juice and 6 tablespoons sugar, and after 10 minutes, drizzle over top of loaf. Cool completely before slicing.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 270
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 40 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 360 mg
- Sugar Content: 30 g