Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Borrowing a technique from the Shakers, you can line the bread pan with scented geranium leavespreferably the apple-scented varietyto underscore the apple flavors in this luscious breadand discard them before eating.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 9-inch loaf pan, and set aside.
- Beat margarine and 1 cup sugar until well combined. Add eggs, lemon extract and lemon zest, and beat until very thick and creamy.
- Sift together dry ingredients, and add alternately with apple pieces and 1/2 cup apple juice, continuing until all ingredients are used up. Spoon batter into loaf pan, and sprinkle top with pecans.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until top is golden and center is firm. Remove from oven, and allow to cool in pan 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool on rack.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 tablespoon apple juice and 6 tablespoons sugar, and after 10 minutes, drizzle over top of loaf. Cool completely before slicing.
- Serving Size SERVES 8
- Calories 270
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 40 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 360 mg
- Sugar Content 30 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g