Crinkly leafed savoy cabbage is a lot less pungent than smooth green cabbage, making it perfect for this delicately flavored soup. Leafy greens like kale and collards also work well. Arborio rice adds creaminess to the broth, but you can substitute any other short-grain white rice, even sushi rice!
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small savoy cabbage, shredded (12 oz.)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- Grated vegan Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
- Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cabbage, and stir to coat with oil. Stir in broth and 3 cups water, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in rice, and season with salt once more. Cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, rub each bread slice with 1/2 clove garlic. Toast bread, then cut into fingers or cubes. Divide garlic toast fingers among 4 soup bowls. Ladle soup over toast, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 241
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 417 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g