As an hors d’oeuvre or a main-dish alternative to pasta, these Italian rice balls can’t be beat. Serve with your favorite tomato sauce and grated Parmesan cheese.
- 3 rice ballsServings
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Arborio rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
- 2 cups panko or Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 12 green onions, white and green parts finely chopped (3/4 cup)
1. Bring rice and 2 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Cool.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F, and coat 2 baking sheets with olive oil cooking spray. Whisk together eggs and pesto in bowl. Stir egg mixture into rice. Fold in ı/2 cup breadcrumbs and green onions. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Roll rice mixture into 2-inch balls, then roll balls in remaining breadcrumbs. Place on prepared baking sheets, and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
- Serving Size: Makes 24 rice balls
- Calories: 205
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 385 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g