Arrowroot jelly was a favorite dessert in Victorian England. This lightly sweetened trifle makes a spectacular dessert for a crowd.
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 1/4 cups unsweetened mixed berry juice, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, plus more for garnish
- 2 8.9-oz. gluten-free pound cakes, such as Ener-G Foods or Foods by George, cut into thin slices
- 1 1/2 cups all-natural whipped topping, such as TRUwhip, plus more for garnish, optional
1. Whisk together 1/4 cup berry juice, arrowroot powder, and sugar in bowl. Set aside.
2. Bring remaining berry juice to a boil in saucepan. Whisk in arrowroot mixture. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes, or until mixture thickens and turns clear, whisking constantly. Cool. Stir in blueberries and raspberries.
3. Line bottom of 8-inch-square glass or ceramic baking dish with pound cake slices. Spread with 1 cup arrowroot jelly, and top with 1/2 cup whipped topping. Repeat layering 2 more times. Cover, and refrigerate overnight. Garnish with berries and whipped topping, if using, before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 16
- Calories: 176
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Cholesterol Content: 29 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 2 mg
- Sugar Content: 17 g