Arroz con pollo (rice with chicken) is a staple dish in every Latin-American household. Unfortunately, it’s now commonly made with spice packets filled with MSG. Instead, Ramirez opts for fresh oregano, turmeric, and saffron to achieve the same authentic flavor. Research suggests that oregano and turmeric have powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties, while saffron may help prevent post-exercise muscle pain or weakness.
- 2 lbs organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3/4 red bell pepper
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- 1 1/2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups organic, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp minced fresh turmeric (or 1/4 tsp dried turmeric)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 3 saffron threads, crushed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup jarred pimiento peppers
- 6 Manzanilla olives
- 2 limes cut into wedges, for garnish
- Unwrap chicken breasts, pat dry with paper towel, and season with salt and black pepper. In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil; cook chicken in batches, flipping once, until browned and almost cooked through, 5–10 minutes. Remove chicken from pot.
- In food processor, pulse onion, bell pepper, cilantro, and garlic until finely chopped and evenly combined. Add mixture to pot you used for chicken and cook over medium heat until onions are fragrant and translucent, 10 minutes.
- Add broth, rice, lime juice, bay leaf, oregano, garlic powder, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, and saffron to pot; bring mixture to a boil. Add chicken; cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 1 hour.
- Add frozen peas, pimientos, and olives, stirring until warm. Fluff rice with fork and divide among six plates. Garnish each plate with a lime wedge.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 457
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 42 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g