This quick one-pot meal can be made with fresh or frozen fava beans and artichokes.
- 3 lbs. fava beans, shelled, or 3 cups frozen fava beans
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3/4 lb. new potatoes, sliced
- 1 8-oz. pkg. frozen artichokes, thawed or 6 baby artichokes, trimmed and halved
- 2 cups baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 green onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 plum tomatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- If using fresh fava beans, bring 2 quarts water to a boil in medium saucepan. Add beans and simmer 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and rinse until cool. Pinch off wrinkled skins with fingers and discard to reveal green beans inside. Set aside. (If using frozen favas, skip this step.)
- Heat oil in deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, artichokes, carrots and salt, and cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Add wine, cover and simmer 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Add favas, onions and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in mint and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 238
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 384 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g