Frozen artichoke hearts are superior in taste to canned.
- 2 tomatoes, one diced and one halved and thinly sliced
- 2 9-oz. pkg. frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 15.5-oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced about 1/8-inch thick
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly oil 2-qt. gratin dish.
- Toss diced tomatoes with artichoke hearts, scallions, 1 Tbs. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. oregano and 1/4 tsp. salt in bowl. Set aside.
- Put beans, stock, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in food processor; purée. Line bottom of dish with half sliced sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and remaining pepper. Spread on bean mixture, add artichoke mixture and cover with potatoes; reserve 20 slices.
- Arrange tomato slices and remaining sweet potato slices on top, overlapping edges. Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with remaining oregano and salt. Dust with pepper. Cover.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until tender. Remove cover, and sprinkle top with ground walnuts. Bake 15 minutes more, or until topping is golden brown. Wait 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 400
- Carbohydrate Content: 63 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 18 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 740 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g