30 minutes or less
Rachael Ray specializes in big bang-for-the-buck recipes such as this simple but flavor-packed salad, a fitting main course for a light supper. The addition of an apricot all-fruit spread adds a sophisticated touch to the combination of peppery arugula, juicy pear and robust blue cheese. Adapted from Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals 2.
- 2 bunches arugula, washed, dried and stems trimmed
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, rinsed and torn
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 ripe pear, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. Maytag or other blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup apricot all-fruit spread
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make Salad: Combine arugula and lettuce in a salad bowl. Squeeze some lemon juice over pear slices to keep them from browning. Arrange pear slices on top of lettuce and arugula. Top with blue cheese crumbles.
- To make Dressing: Combine shallot, vinegar and apricot spread in a bowl. Stream in oil while whisking briskly. Add to salad, season with salt and black pepper and serve.
A slightly sassy, light and well-chilled white such as the Castle Rock Sauvignon Blanc would work well with the peppery arugula, earthy blue cheese and fruity flavors of this salad. Another good option to consider for an elegant pairing with this salad would be the Kendall Jackson Sauvignon Blanc, which has less bite.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4
- Calories: 460
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 50 mg
- Fat Content: 35 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 780 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g