Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These crispy spring rolls make a perfect appetizer for a full-blown Asian dinner of fried rice, sweet-and-sour tofu or crispy noodles. The accompanying dipping sauce offers a satisfying counterpoint to the Jasmine tea, which is the ideal beverage. Ginger ice cream complements the meal.
- To make “Chicken” Rolls: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat. Toss “chicken” strips with onion and garlic powders, and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Remove them from heat, and drain on paper towels.
- Moisten rice paper wrappers, two sheets at a time, by dipping sheets in cold water for about 10 seconds. Set them aside on a flat surface until they are soft and pliable, about 1 minute. Assemble remaining ingredients in separate equal-sized piles on work surface, making sure mint and cilantro stems are trimmed. Starting with first roll on edge closest to you, place several pieces of “chicken” on a wrapper, and layer on top shredded carrots, leafy sprigs of cilantro and several mint leaves. Wrap up roll tightly by starting at closest rounded end, taking 1 turn. Fold in each side over filling, and continue rolling up wrapper tightly into a neat packet. Repeat process until done.
- Heat remaining 1 cup of oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat. Fry rolls until they are golden on all sides, for about 3 minutes. Remove them from heat, and drain them on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, to make Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour into a small serving bowl.
- To serve, arrange rolls on a serving plate, garnish them with crushed peanuts if desired and pass with Dipping Sauce.
- Serving Size SERVES 2
- Calories 310
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 180 mg
- Sugar Content 22 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g