These tofu cakes are delicious served with steamed rice and sautéed sliced bok choy. For dessert make a fresh-fruit salad sprinkled with a little toasted coconut.
- 1 Tbs. sesame seeds
- 15 oz. firm tofu, rinsed and drained
- 5 egg whites
- 1/3 cup all-purpose, whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 3 scallions (green part only), thinly sliced; reserve 1 tsp. for sauce
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil, more if needed
- 3 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil or chili oil
- 1/2 tsp. rice vinegar
- In small skillet, toast sesame seeds until golden brown, stirring often, 1 minute. Transfer to small plate and set aside.
- Pat tofu dry with paper towel and place in medium bowl. Mash tofu with fork until it resembles chopped eggs.
- Mix in egg whites, flour, ginger, scallions, peas, soy sauce and salt and white pepper to taste, until well blended.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil.
- Add about 1/4 cup tofu mixture per cake to skillet, flattening with back of spoon to form small cakes. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, make sauce. In small bowl, mix soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar and reserved scallion.
- To serve tofu cakes, sprinkle with sesame seeds and accompany with sesame-soy sauce on the side.
- Serving Size: 6 SERVINGS
- Calories: 194
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 723 mg