Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Thin ribbons of fresh spinach add color and crunch to this hearty main dish.
1. Preheat oven to 500°F, and place oven rack in top position. Toss asparagus with 1 Tbs. olive oil on baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Roast 9 minutes, or until tips begin to brown but stems are still green. Cool.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil in skillet over high heat. Spread mushrooms evenly across skillet surface. Cook undisturbed 2 minutes, until mushrooms begin to brown. Toss, and spread evenly across skillet surface. Repeat 2 or 3 times until mushrooms are golden brown. Transfer to bowl.
3. Cut off asparagus tips; reserve. Place stalks in bowl of food processor. Add milk, and process 1 minute or until puréed. Transfer to bowl. Whisk in eggs and cheese, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush 8 4-oz. ramekins with oil. Fill prepared ramekins with egg mixture. Top with mushrooms and reserved asparagus tips. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Cool 5 minutes.
5. Stack 4 spinach leaves, and roll stack lengthwise into tight cylinder. Cut cylinder crosswise in fine slices. Repeat with remaining spinach leaves. Top each gratin with spinach chiffonade. Drizzle with lemon oil, if using.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 127
- Carbohydrate Content 4 g
- Cholesterol Content 65 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 72 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g