SERVE THIS AS AN APPETIZER COURSE, OR USE IT AS AN ACCOMPANIMENT. TRY AN ASSORTMENT OF WILD MUSHROOMS, TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE PLENTITUDE AT YOUR LOCAL MARKET.
- Heat oil in large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add onion, cover and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine, tomato juice, bay leaves, coriander seeds and ground coriander. Bring to a boil, and cook until mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup.
- Add mushrooms, and continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Cook completely, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, cover and refrigerate for one day. Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
- To serve, drain mushrooms, and arrange on platter or in bowl. Alternatively, use mushrooms in salad.
Slater likes a light, fresh and fruity Greek wine, such as the Ktima Argyros “Estate Santorini,” 2000, which has a dry edge.
- Serving Size SERVES 4
- Calories 245
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 252 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g