For a different look and taste, substitute yellow tomatoes and golden raisins.
- 5 large tomatoes, or 2 cups peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 2 jalapeño peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- Plunge tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds to loosen skins. Drop into ice water and peel. Halve tomatoes and squeeze out seeds. Place tomatoes in work bowl of food processor fitted with knife blade. Dice into 1/4-inch cubes. Place into 2-quart saucepan. Process onion into 1/4-inch cubes. Add to saucepan. Cut green pepper into large pieces and process into 1/4-inch cubes. Add to saucepan. Process jalapeños into fine dice. Add to saucepan.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over very low heat, generally more than 1 hour. Remove from heat; serve or store.
- Serving Size: SERVES 12
- Calories: 60
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 200 mg