Hearty quinoa compliments a rich spice palate in this dinner-worthy salad.
- Makes 6 to 8 servingsServings
For marinated feta:
- 1/2 pound feta (French, if available)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- Dried whole chili (optional)
For the salad:
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed, cut in half
- 2-4 small heads of baby lettuce, any kind
- 2 bunches baby radishes, one bunch thinly shaved, the other cut into quarters (make sure to leave part of the leaves attached)
- 1 lemon, cut into eighths
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bunch parsley leaves, stems picked off
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
For the dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Place the feta in a small bowl and cover with olive oil. Add garlic slivers, pepper, and chili. Let marinate overnight, if possible, or at least for a few hours. Remove feta and crumble, straining oil and reserving it for the dressing.
2. Blanch green beans in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water and drain after a few minutes.
3. For the dressing, mix together minced garlic, cumin, cayenne, honey, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Whisk in reserved olive oil. Set aside.
4. Combine lettuces, radishes, lemon segments, green beans, thyme, and parsley leaves. Toss gently with the dressing, reserving some to dress the cooked quinoa separately. Add the dressed quinoa to the salad and serve topped with crumbled marinated feta.
Recipe courtesy of chef Kristin Cole of Gospel Flat Farm in Bolinas, CA.