The stuffing for these baked apples can be made up to two days ahead. We call for Red Delicious apples, but any baking apple variety will work.
- serving (1 stuffed apple half)Servings
- 1 cup mushroom broth
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup red quinoa
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup low-fat cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 4 medium Red Delicious apples
- 1/2 cup grated sharp white Cheddar cheese, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring broth and 1 cup water to a boil in saucepan. Add wild rice, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 50 minutes. Stir in quinoa, and cook 20 minutes more, or until most of water is absorbed.
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion, and sauté 7 minutes. Stir in sage and wild rice, and increase heat to medium-high. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, and stir in cream cheese. Fold in cranberries.
3. Halve apples through stem, and scoop out core and seeds, leaving 1/4-inch-thick wall around sides. Fill apple halves with 1/3 cup rice mixture. Place in 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Fill baking dish with 1 cup water, cover tightly with foil, and bake 45 minutes. Uncover apples, sprinkle with Cheddar (if using), and bake 15 minutes more, or until apples are soft and tops are beginning to crisp.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 184
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 8 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 141 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g