This hearty meal is pure comfort food, and it comes together in minutes. And don’t let the name fool you: This is not the old-fashioned kind of sweet baked beans cooked with maple syrup over long, slow heat. Best of all, this dish’s robust flavors will please every family member, especially when highlighted with a dollop of barbecue sauce or a spicy tomato sauce. Offer a tossed green salad as an accompaniment, and end the meal with chocolate chip cookies and ice cream or something homier such as a wedge of gooey chocolate cake.
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- About 2 cups canned navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch (about 1/2 lb.) spinach, rinsed and julienned
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. cajun seasoning or similar spicy seasoning, or to taste
- 5 Tbs. soy “bacon” bits
- 4 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer sliced mushrooms on bottom of dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs to form crust. Stir together beans, spinach, onion, cheddar cheese and seasoning in a large mixing bowl. Spoon into baking dish. Combine “bacon” bits and Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle over top.
- Bake beans for 20 minutes, remove from oven, garnish with parsley and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 400
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 1850 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g