We all love crunchy, fried egg rolls but wish they were a little lower in fat. This version produces a crisp bite-sized roll using just a bit of oil. For maximum crunch, assemble these just before you plan to cook them.
- EGG ROLLServings
- Egg Rolls
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch plus some extra
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup frozen, shelled edamame, thawed
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/2 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 26 won ton skins
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Hot Mustard Sauce
- 2 Tbs. powdered yellow mustard
- 1 Tbs. water
- 1 tsp. honey or rice syrup
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- To make Egg Rolls: Whisk soy sauce, vinegar and 1 tsp. cornstarch in bowl to blend; set aside.
- Warm large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat with cooking spray. Add cabbage and carrots; cook, stirring, until cabbage is softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, water chestnuts, edamame, peanuts and oil, stirring just until heated, about 1 minute. Add cornstarch mixture; cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to plate; cover, and chill about 20 minutes to slightly cool.
- To make Hot Mustard Sauce: Whisk all ingredients in bowl to blend, and transfer to dipping bowls.
- To assemble Egg Rolls: Place several won ton skins on work surface, with a corner of each facing you (in diamond shape). Brush top corner of each with egg. Put 1 Tbs. filling in center of each; fold bottom corner, then both side corners over filling, and roll up. Place egg rolls on baking sheet dusted with cornstarch, and cover loosely with plastic as you go.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Put second baking sheet in oven for 2 minutes. Remove it, coat with cooking spray then quickly put egg rolls on it. Spray rolls, and return to hot oven.
- Bake 10 minutes, flip rolls and bake 10 minutes more, or until golden brown. Serve with mustard sauce.
- Serving Size: makes about 26
- Calories: 46
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 80 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g