30 MINUTES OR LESS
This simple dish comes together in minutes and calls for a light soup or tossed green salad and hot Italian bread with olive oil for dunking. It also makes a great buffet party dish, as it can feed a group when served with other fare.
- 2 cups dried tri-colored or plain orzo
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsps. minced garlic
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chunky marinara sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded, low-fat mozzarella
- Pizza or Italian spice mix to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly oil heatproof baking dish.
- Heat water in covered saucepan. When at a rapid boil, cook orzo until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat and sauté garlic, leeks and zucchini slices for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Drain orzo and place in baking dish. Stir in marinara sauce, salt and pepper and spice mix. Top with half the cheese.
- Arrange zucchini and leek slices on top of orzo, and top with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until mozzarella melts. During last 5 minutes, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
The Russian River Valley is an important wine-growing sub-region of Sonoma County, California. One winery there is named for the function its building had at the turn of the 19th century: The Hop Kiln Winery. Try the Hop Kiln Winery Russian River Valley Primitivo Vineyard Zinfandel.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 440
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 780 mg