These breaded nuggets become firm and chewy as they bake. Kids will enjoy dipping them into their favorite sauce.
- 16-oz. pkg. firm or extra-firm tofu, well drained
- 1 large egg white
- 3 Tbs. wheat germ
- 2 Tbs. yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- Marinara or barbecue sauce, warmed, or ketchup
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil nonstick baking sheet.
- Cut tofu into1/2-inch-thick slices. Blot well between kitchen towels or several layers of paper towels, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes. In shallow bowl, beat egg white with a fork. Add tofu cubes; stir gently to coat.
- In small bowl, mix together wheat germ, cornmeal and seasoned salt until well combined. Add tofu in small batches and toss until evenly coated.
- Transfer tofu to prepared baking sheet, spacing well apart. Bake until golden and firm, 15 to 20 minutes, turning with spatula every 5 minutes. Serve hot with sauce for dipping or topping.
- Serving Size: 6 kid-size servings
- Calories: 109
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Sodium Content: 56 mg