The crust for this vegetable-filled pie may be made from ready-made, store-bought dough that you roll out and fit into a pie plate. Or, for a no-fuss meal, start with a premade frozen pie crust. This is a meal-in-a-slice, calling only for a light dessert of fruit and nuts.
- One 9-inch unbaked frozen pie shell
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 bunch kale, shredded
- 2/3 cup chunky seasoned tomato sauce
- 11/2 cups artichoke hearts, drained
- 6 oz. smoked tofu, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup grated low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Reserve strips of leek for garnish.
- Bake pie shell until golden, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Remove from oven, and set aside. Increase oven temperature to 450F.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over med-ium heat. When hot, sauté leek and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add kale and tomato sauce, stirring often, and cook until kale wilts and leeks are translucent. Add artichoke hearts.
- Fill baked pie shell, and arrange tofu pieces decoratively on top. Sprinkle grated cheese over top, and bake 5 minutes more. Increase oven temperature to broil, and heat until cheese browns, about 1 minute.
Matching this tart with wine presents an interesting, but not insurmountable, challenge. Most of the ingredients are super wine-friendly, but for different reasons. The leeks, garlic, kale, smoked tofu and cheese would pair with a smoky wine. The tomatoes and artichokes call for a wine with a bit of acid. Combine these objectives. Try an Italian Chianti Classico.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 420
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 25 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 510 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g